Monday, August 3, 2015

Book Review-- I Crawl Through It

I just finished reading I Crawl Through It by A.S. King for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

Four teenagers are on the verge of exploding. The anxieties they face at every turn have nearly pushed them to the point of surrender: senseless high-stakes testing, the lingering damage of past trauma, the buried grief and guilt of tragic loss. They are desperate to cope, but no one is listening.

So they will lie. They will split in two. They will turn inside out. They will even build an invisible helicopter to fly themselves far away...but nothing releases the pressure. Because, as they discover, the only way to truly escape their world is to fly right into it.

The genius of acclaimed author A.S. King reaches new heights in this groundbreaking work of surrealist fiction; it will mesmerize readers with its deeply affecting exploration of how we crawl through traumatic experience-and find the way out.


Ugh.  I just went from reading one of the best books that I've read in a while to one of the worst books I've read in a while.  And from the 4 star rating on Goodreads, it looks like I'm in the minority of feeling this way.

The book made absolutely no sense.  I get that Stanzi and China have PTSD from events in their life.  But what the hell is with the invisible helicopter that some people can always see, some can only see on certain days, and some can't see at all?  And flying to the mysterious place?  


Then you have the flasher bush man.  Like its okay and no one ever called the cops on him.  Really????  And the police couldn't trace the bomb threats???  A character that turns inside out???  And  more but I just don't care enough to list them.


Oh my head just hurts with how much I disliked this book.


I gave this book a rating of 1.5/5.

I Crawl Through It will be released on September 22, 2015.

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment