Sunday, July 20, 2014

Book Review- Heir of Fire

I finished reading the last word of Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass #) by Sarah J. Maas just as the plane was touching down tonight.

From Goodreads:

Lost and broken, Celaena Sardothien’s only thought is to avenge the savage death of her dearest friend: as the King of Adarlan’s Assassin, she is bound to serve this tyrant, but he will pay for what he did. Any hope Celaena has of destroying the king lies in answers to be found in Wendlyn. Sacrificing his future, Chaol, the Captain of the King’s Guard, has sent Celaena there to protect her, but her darkest demons lay in that same place. If she can overcome them, she will be Adarlan’s biggest threat – and his own toughest enemy.

While Celaena learns of her true destiny, and the eyes of Erilea are on Wendlyn, a brutal and beastly force is preparing to take to the skies. Will Celaena find the strength not only to win her own battles, but to fight a war that could pit her loyalties to her own people against those she has grown to love?


I'm sad to say that this one was really rough for me.  I loved the first two books in this series as well as the novellas that I've read.  But I just had such a hard time getting into this one.  I had saved this book for vacation because I was so excited to read it.  It was the second book I was going to read, knowing I would fly threw it.  I started it on the plane last weekend and found every excuse during the week not to read it.  And I didn't finish until the wheels were touching down on the way back home tonight.

First thing I have to say is that I think books in a series should be required to have a prologue that details what has happened so far in the story.  I read series books so far apart that I always have a hard time remembering what happened in the previous installment.  Most of the time, I catch on pretty quick.  But I don't think I ever really caught on with this book.  And it really hindered my enjoyment of it.

Second, I just didn't like Celaena as much as I have in the previous books.  I can't quite put my finger on it but I just didn't find her as amazing as I did in the other books.

The book did finally start interesting me about 70% into the book.  But by that time I just wanted to be done with it.  The book did leave off quite nicely with a cliffhanger and I am still looking forward to reading the next book in the series when it comes out and hopefully I'll fall back in love with the series.

I gave this book a rating of 3/5.

Heir of Fire will be released on September 2, 2014.

*FTC Disclosure: I borrowed this book from a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment