Sunday, December 8, 2013

Book Review- PODs

Yesterday I finished reading PODs by Michelle Pickett for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

Seventeen-year-old Eva is a chosen one. Chosen to live, while others meet a swift and painful death
from an incurable virus so lethal, a person is dead within days of symptoms emerging. In the POD system, a series of underground habitats built by the government, she waits with the other chosen for the deadly virus to claim those above. Separated from family and friends, it's in the PODs she meets David. And while true love might not conquer all, it's a balm for the broken soul.

After a year, scientists believe the population has died, and without living hosts, so has the virus. That's the theory, anyway. But when the PODs are opened, survivors find the surface holds a vicious secret. The virus mutated, infecting those left top-side and creating... monsters.

Eva and David hide from the infected in the abandoned PODs. Together they try to build a life--a new beginning. But the infected follow and are relentless in their attacks. Leaving Eva and David to fight for survival, and pray for a cure.


Zombie novels.  I'm never sure whether I'm going to enjoy them are not.  This was somewhere right in the middle.  (the characters were never called zombies but that's pretty much what they were)

Liked: I really liked the characters.  I liked Eva's personality and strength.  I liked that she tried to stay positive through everything.  And I liked David and how he never gave up on Eva.

Didn't care for:  The constant making out in front of people was a little weird.  I get times of privacy might be few and far between but still.  Awkward.

Liked: The plot of the sub-PODs and being able to escape the virus.  Also the idea of starting communities over again.

Didn't care for: The actual zombie attacks.  A little gory and gruesome for my liking.

Overall, an interesting novel and I think I'll pick up the second one when it comes out.

I gave this book a rating of 3/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2013 150+ Reading Challenge: 59
2013 ARC Reading Challenge: 36
2013 Debut Author Challenge: 9
2013 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 48

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment