Friday, June 14, 2013

Book Review- Dirty Little Secret

I just finished reading Dirty Little Secret by Jennifer Echols for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

From the author of the “real page-turner” (Seventeen) Such a Rush comes an unforgettable
new drama that follows friends-turned-lovers as they navigate the passions, heartbreaks, and intrigue of country music fame.

Bailey wasn’t always a wild child and the black sheep of her family. She used to play fiddle and tour the music circuit with her sister, Julie, who sang and played guitar. That ended when country music execs swooped in and signed Julie to a solo deal. Never mind that Julie and Bailey were a duet, or that Bailey was their songwriter. The music scouts wanted only Julie, and their parents were content to sit by and let her fulfill her dreams while Bailey’s were hushed away.

Bailey has tried to numb the pain and disappointment over what could have been. And as Julie’s debut album is set to hit the charts, her parents get fed up with Bailey’s antics and ship her off to granddad’s house in Nashville. Playing fiddle in washed-up tribute groups at the mall, Bailey meets Sam, a handsome and oh-so-persuasive guitarist with his own band. He knows Bailey’s fiddle playing is just the thing his band needs to break into the industry. But this life has broken Bailey’s heart once before. She isn’t sure she’s ready to let Sam take her there again…


I enjoyed this little peek into the life of a county star wannabe.  I've always been fascinated by stardom so this was a good one for me.

Reading back over my reviews of the other two Jennifer Echols books I've read (Forget You and Such a Rush), I never seem to like the main character.  But I really liked Bailey.  She was real.  And believable.  And even with everything that her family put her through and made her feel, she still acknowledged that they meant everything to her. 

Then there was Sam.  At times, he seemed like such a good guy.  But then it also just seemed that once he figured out who Bailey was, he was just using her to move up in the country world.  Not cool. 

I liked the plot in this one too.  It flowed nicely and wrapped up well.  This is definitely my favorite book that I've read by Jennifer Echols so far!

I gave this book a rating of 4/5.

Dirty Little Secret will be released on July 16, 2013.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2013 150+ Reading Challenge: 30
2013 ARC Reading Challenge: 21
2013 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 25
2013 Standalone Reading Challenge: 8
2013 Quick Fix Challenge: 13

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to see this ended up being a good book! Guys who use people to move up in their career are dumb. I can already tell I'm not going to like him! Great review. I can't wait to read it now!

    ReplyDelete