Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Class of 2k11 guest post-- Christina Mandelski

Over the next little while (honestly not sure how long it will be), I will be posting guest blogs by authors from the Class of 2k11! I am so honored to be doing this!

Each author will be talking about who they would cast in the movie version of the book.
 
Next is Christina Mandelski, author of The Sweetest Thing.  I just revewied the book yesterday.  You can read it here.
 
Here's a summary of her book from Goodreads:
 
In the world of Sheridan Wells, life is perfect when she's decorating a cake. Unfortunately everything else is a complete mess: her mom ran off years ago, her dad is more interested in his restaurant, and the idea of a boyfriend is laughable.
But Sheridan is convinced finding her mom will solve all her problems - only her dad's about to get a cooking show in New York, which means her dream of a perfect family will be dashed.


Using just the right amount of romance, family drama, and cute boys, The Sweetest Thing will entice fans with its perfect mixture of girl-friendly ingredients.

And who would Christina cast in her movie?

Isn’t it every author’s dream to create a beautifully written story – to pull readers into the pages and take them on a journey that they won’t soon forget? It’s all about the literature, right? Um … yes, that’s true, of course. But, if we’re being honest, at some point in the writing process certain authors might allow themselves to expand on that dream. You know, dress it up in Prada heels and sequins and take its picture under the HOLLYWOOD sign?


In other words, we might wonder … what if they turn my book into a movie?


You’ve probably already gleaned that I’ve done a little fantasizing myself. I’ll admit it. And while my debut young adult novel, THE SWEETEST THING, may never make it to the big screen, I’m ready, just in case. Would you like to meet the cast? I’m still waiting on a few of them to return my calls, but another thing we writers have is patience. I’m sure it’ll be worth the wait.


So without further ado … the fantasy cast of THE SWEETEST THING:


Sheridan (aka Cake Girl) Wells, fifteen year old cake decorating prodigy, hapless romantic and disgruntled daughter will be played by talented newcomer Hailee Steinfeld. She’s nominated for an Oscar for her role in True Grit, but I’m sure she wouldn’t mind expanding her resume while making some spectacular cakes and kissing cute boys.


For bad boy Ethan, I discovered (well, okay, he was probably already discovered) the uber hot Alex Pettyfer, who is starring in the upcoming movie I am Number Four. He’s also, I hear, vying for a role in The Hunger Games. He can go ahead and work on that little movie too, if he must.


Best friend and nice guy Jack’s role goes to Jeremy Mockridge, who as far as I can tell only works in Germany. But I saw this picture and thought – “It’s Jack!” I’m hoping this movie will finally give him the big American break he’s been looking for. You’re welcome, Jeremy.


Mean girl Hayley goes to Taylor Momsen, formerly of Gossip Girl, who has that nasty look down so well. I’m mean, look at her, she’s got “cat fight” written all over her.


Sheridan’s dad, Donovan, is a superstar chef and budding reality TV star. He’s played by one of my personal favorites, Josh Duhamel. Maybe he’s a little young, but I’ll take any excuse to stare at a picture of him, so there he is.


And Nanny, Sheridan’s feisty baker grandma, naturally, is played by the indomitable Kathy Bates. If you can get past her memorable role as a psycho fan in Misery, she’ll be ideal.


So there you have it, my dream cast for The Sweetest Thing. Oh, and if you go and see it, look for me because I’m going to insist on a cameo. I’ll be the one in sequins and Prada heels, standing next to Josh Duhamel.





While reading this I was thinking, yeah, I can see these people as the characters but I had to look up Jeremy Mockridge.  And when I saw him, I immediately thought "Omigosh!  That is the PERFECT Jack!!"

The Sweetest Thing was released today!

No comments:

Post a Comment